In 1959, Filling Memorial Home of Mercy, Inc. opened its doors to provide care for children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Filling Homes received its name for Mrs. Carrie Filling Vajen, whose Christian faith helped her fulfill the dream she and her family had to establish "a home that would provide a place of refuge and care for handicapped people who would find it difficult to receive care anywhere else."
Through the years, the original campus has grown from the original building with approximately 9500 sq. ft. to a building that has 85,975 sq. ft. under roof. (With our most recent addition in 2005 of the Activities Center and Therapy Center.) The dream of Mrs. Vajen and her family is evident in the stewardship provided by the Board of Trustees, the care and support of our staff, and the generosity of our many supporters.