The Filling Homes Habilitation Center is an Adult Day Services site located on the north end of the base facility next to the Chapel.
In the Hab Center, Filling Homes’ residents are assisted in learning skills through direct experience. Meaningful goals are set through each person’s Individual Habilitation Plan, and Hab Center staff strive to help individuals achieve these goals as independently as possible.
The Hab Center consists of 8 dedicated environments.
- The Recreation and Leisure Room provides clients with opportunities to develop and maintain social relationships and family contacts.
- The Sensory Area is actually made up of two defined spaces and facilitates sensory activities that are not provided in the residential setting.
- The Sensory Room is a gathering place where 5-6 clients and 2 staff participate in sensory stimulation activities as well as alternate positioning if needed. This is also where our clients who do not dine orally gather for socialization during our regular dining period.
- The second room of the sensory area is the Sensorium. The Sensorium is a defined multi-sensory environment (MSE) equipped with a variety of audio, visual, and tactile devices that offer clients self-determined sensory experiences for the purpose of stress-relief and relaxation.
- The Family Room is where Hab Center clients are encouraged to express themselves creatively through activities such as painting and crafting.
- The Green House is an attached accessible indoor garden area for clients interested in year-round gardening activities such as weeding and watering. In warmer months, these activities take place in the Filling Homes’ outdoor vegetable gardens.
- The Pre-vocational Area is divided into the Suds Room where laundry skills are learned and the Recycling Room for community volunteer activities. Clients may choose to participate in recycling, paper shredding or coupon clipping for overseas service members.
- Lastly, the Hab Kitchen, where meals are made and served to Filling Homes’ employees three days per week, offers opportunities for clients to learn basic cooking and baking skills.